Saturday, August 22, 2009

Home is where the heart is...

My boyfriend and I just returned today, after driving over 4500 miles up the East coast. We had a wonderful adventure, but are happy to be home! Our first stop was New Orleans...Yes, I'm that girl on Bourbon Street with the ridiculous neon drink, posing with a grown man dressed as a grenade.



My boyfriend, Dave, enjoying coffee and beignets at "Cafe Du Monde". So good!



We visited a convent from the 1800's (I'm not Catholic, but am obsessed with Catholic art and saints). The convent was beautiful and the attached cathedral was stunning!







We had to visit a cemetary, of course. :) Here we are in front of Marie Laveau's tomb, the famous voodoo queen. This is the second most visited grave in our nation, right after Elvis and before JFK. Crazy, right?



Next we headed to Panama City Beach, Florida. No pics from there, the beach was lovely, but nothing worth documenting.

We then drove on to Savannah, Georgia! The historical homes and buildings are so cool, and all the courtyards and gardens make for a lush city. Here's the "Gingerbread House", which is a perfect example of the amazing, preserved architecture there.



We also visited another cathedral there (at this point, my boyfriend is starting to think I'm a closet Catholic)...





Next stop, another beach...Atlantic City, NJ! It rained the two days we were there, so no playing in the sand and sun. :( We did walk on the boardwalk with an umbrella, and Dave played some Poker. My only pic from there (looks like a postcard though, ha!)



On the way to NYC, we stopped in Smithville, NJ at "Underground", an awesome punk shop that is carrying my prints and postcards. I was so happy to get to meet Mike and Lucy, the owners. Dave and I also purchased some fab NJ t-shirts there. :)



We hopped the ferry from the NJ shore into Manhattan...loved it, the pics say it all!





Last, but not least, we ended up in Salem, MA. Yes, I am morbidly fascinated with the witch trials, ghosts, and magic that are part of this historic city. We did every witch tour they offered (even a pirate one). We also went to the "House of the Seven Gables" Mansion and visited Nathaniel Hawthorne's house. Here's a pic of Dave and I in the gardens at the mansion...



And a final pic of a very final resting place...

9 comments:

Kate8085 said...

Wow! I don't even know where to start...this is the road trip of creepy dreams!! I love it.
The churches, the graves..
I would have taken a photo with the grenade guy, too!
Glad you had an awesome time!

Illustrated Ink said...

Thanks Kate! It WAS the road trip of creepy dreams, we even took a haunted night tour that drove you around in a hearse in Savannah. My boyfriend was a good sport about all my creepy rquests! Lol!

Lucie Le Blanc said...

So cool ! The kind of trip I like ! I have been following you for a moment, but language barrier and your enormous talent made me shy to write to you... ;) But now I saw your face and found you were looking "approachable" ! Stupid shyness ! lol

I love what you do, I don't miss a post.

Jammerdesignz said...

What great photos!!! I've always wanted to go to New Orleans! I loved Salem when my mom and I visited about 10 years ago!!! Thanks for sharing! I am sure you are all sorts of inspired with all that religious art;)

Illustrated Ink said...

Hi Touchatou! Thank you so much for writing on my blog. You are too kind to say such sweet things! I haven't noticed any language barrier, your english is great. Thank you for following my blog and supporting my art! I hope to hear from you in the future! :)

Illustrated Ink said...

Thanks Jamie! I AM totally inspired! You have to go to New orleans, it's amazing and an inspiration for any artist! I did a New Orleans themed drawing on the road that I hope to offer in my blog giveaway this week. :)

Lucie Le Blanc said...

Cool ! I sure will ! I am from Quebec, Canada and I speak french : thanks for the compliment about my english ! I don't have the chance to practice a lot, so I don't know if I sound right or not anymore... ;)

erin said...

wow, your vacation looks AMAZING! my boyfriend and i would love to plan a similar trip. until i can get there, my heart belongs to memphis...

Mrs. Evils said...

Wow, so awesome! Love all the church photos.

Total Pageviews